Which Path?

I am standing at a crossroad
And two paths lay at my feet
One is light by the bright sunshine,
While down the other I can not see.
My heart tells me to step into the dark
But my feet desire the light
I fight an inward battle
As I know which way is right.
With a heavy sigh, I am determined
And turn away from the path
Filled with bright sunshine and flowers
And face the darkness of the unknown.
Slowly I put one foot in front of the other
And feel the ground beneath my feet
Is more and more solid with every step.
The path takes unexpected turns,
Twists and dips. What appears so dark
With every sure step gets more and more light
Until there is no doubt as to where to go,
Where to step and how to avoid the
Pitfalls that surround the path.
When the end is reached,
I turn around and look back.
What started out dark as night
Ended as bright as day.
And with a start I realize
That I have changed along the way.
I have been humbled, chastened, scared even.
I have cried unto the Lord to know how far to step.
I let the Lord guide my footsteps
When it was so dark I couldn't see.
I became more dependent on my Savior.
Finally, I understand why.
Why the dark path was the one for me.
I needed to depend on the Lord.
He saved my soul, and guarded my feet.
The Lord knows me.
And now I know Him.
When the time comes to choose,
Which path will YOU take?

Copyright © Catherine Oversby, 2008

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sorrow

Untitled